Meet Etsy Seller Reetmomma

Posted Wednesday, June 26, 2013


Today we would like to introduce you to

Reetmomma's Oodles 'n Doodles has been selling on Etsy since November 2009, they offers offers quality handsmocked treasures and custom OOAK items for the 'doodlebugs' in your life. Today they are sharing a little about their shop and selling handmade items.

Smocked Dress - Peter Rabbit - reetmomma Custom Order -Xmas Tree Skirt North Pole Village Wonderland Girls Smocked  Dress  LOBSTERS - reetmomma CUSTOM ORDER BOYS Smocked Jon Jon Shortall Cow Jumped Over The Moon

What motivated you to start your shop?
Sewing doesn't appear to be taught in schools any more and it saddens me to think the art will be lost.   I LOVE to sew, all kinds of sewing, smocking, upholstery and quilting, but my children and grandchildren have outgrown grandma's heirlooms!  I re-directed my focus to sewing for others as gifts and then discovered Etsy!  I thought I would give Etsy a try as a hobby since I was employed as a full time software engineer for a company that was experiencing 'growing pains' and difficulties with turning out quality products.  I was also bothered by the abundance of low quality 'stuff' we import--especially kids clothing -- and stock our shelves with!  I was also disturbed by seeing babies and little girls dressed like teens and punk-rockers in their most innocent stage of existence.

Off I went, embarking on a journey to prove that QUALITY and CUSTOMER SERVICE are not obsolete in the great USA!   It was slow at first, and I probably earn something less than minimum wage, but smocking and creating children's heirlooms is truly a labor of love and much more rewarding than writing computer software.  I recently retired from my day job and am now focusing on Reetmomma's Oodles 'n Doodles, hoping to eventually design my own styles, patterns and create my own 'line' one day to offer to those who sew and smock and keep the art of sewing alive and well.

What is the story behind your shop name?
My name is Rita, but my dear husband donned me "Reetmomma" through the years of being mom and grandmother.  My daughter Anne and I said we would love each other  "oodles and oodles until forever and back."  Anne's baby boy, Jack, became my little "doodle bug pookie pie" and the shop REETMOMMA'S OODLES 'n DOODLES was born.

What surprised you most about having your own craft / online shop?
What surprises me most is the amount of government regulations one has to navigate through to get a child's item to the market.  I find it astonishing that the US has laws to protect children from lead, small parts, etc, yet stores' shelves are filled with children's items loaded with beads, sequins, small parts that are not securely fastened and questionable pieces and designs.

What is your favourite creations from your shop?
I have two favorites which are seasonal.  For Easter (or any occasion to celebrate) I offer a Beatrix Potter style bunny dress which is smocked with Peter Rabbit in his blue waistcoat caught red-handed with the carrots from Mr. Mac Gregor's garden!  For Christmas, my favorite piece to create is a large wool Christmas stocking which is personalized and tailored to a person's interests (golf, fishing, dolls, etc).  I recently sold a Christmas tree skirt with a North Pole theme which matched a family's stockings.  The buildings at the N Pole were also personalized for the family members-- including a mailbox with all the grandparents' names!  What a wonderful heirloom to pass on through the generations and add to over the years.

What do you find most challenging about being an Etsy seller?
I have SO MANY ideas that pop into my mind and things I would like to create and offer to the market,  but just cannot get to all of them to fruition.  One step at a time...I'll get there!

What's your personal philosophy behind your shop / products?
Quality and customer service speak for themselves.  I strive to perfect everything that is created in my shop and am willing to offer money-back guarantees to stand behind my work.  I also believe that there is simply no substitute for outstanding customer service in the way of constant communication with customers, offering them choices of colors, sizes and variations.

How would someone (other then you) describe you?
Extremely creative!  But then, I do come from a family of artisans so it's in the blood and gene pool.  Someone in my family can be found to make just about anything and everything from restoring antique toy trains to creations from the kitchen!

What do you do when you aren't working?
Sleeping, or playing with my grandson who is very creative.

Anything else you'd like to tell us or share?
I hope consumers realize that handmade items from artisans are truly works of art and cannot be found on the shelves at the commercial stores.  A true artisan puts many hours of love into their creations.  Let's all do our part to help promote handmade over mass-made...

Reetmomma's Oodles 'n Doodles is offering FREE SHIPPING (CONUS) during the month of July, for all CHRISTMAS IN JULY ORDERS place during this month. To use the coupon visit her etsy store and enter code "XMASINJULY" at checkout.


Handsmocked Romper Bubble with ruffles- Girl's Size 2T - reetmomma Peter Rabbit Hand Smocked Bishop Dress Handsmocked Bishop Dress with Pumpkins for Fall or  Thanksgiving- size 6 months - reetmomma Big Booty, Little Booty, Booties for Everybody - reetmomma

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...