Meet Etsy Seller MelsCreativeWishes

Posted Wednesday, June 19, 2013


Today we would like to introduce you to Mel
and her Etsy shop Mels Creative Wishes

Mels Creative Wishes has been selling on Etsy since February 2012, they offers a variety of cute
play food, felt crowns, birthday hats & cloth books. Today she is sharing a little about her shop and selling handmade items.

Travel Toy, Wooden Dolls, Waldorf Toy, Felt Cottages - MelsCreativeWishes Travel Play Mat, Pirate Play Mat, Baby Boy play Mat - MelsCreativeWishes Tea Party Felt Food, Felt Chocolate Sweets, Play Food Desserts - MelsCreativeWishes Felt Birthday Party Crown and wand, Fairy Tiara, Felt Crown - MelsCreativeWishes

What motivated you to start your shop?
Sewing and making toys is my passion.  I wanted to do something that would make me happy every single day. My youngest son had just started full time school and I really didn't want to work for someone else. So I began Creative Wishes.

What is the story behind your shop name?
The creative part of Creative Wishes comes from my love of sewing and being crafty. The wishes part came about because when my kids were younger they couldn't walk past a dandelion in seed without picking it, blowing it and making a wish. Their little faces would light up as if they had come across a pot of gold and they would proudly present it to me as if they were giving me a valuable treasure. The dandelion represents a kid taking something and using their imagination to make it what they want it to be. So that humble weed, the dandelion is the inspiration behind the Wishes part of my name.

What surprised you most about having your own craft / online shop?
Initially that other loved my handmade toys and games just as much as I did.  I also wasn't prepared for the amount of time it takes to promote, improve and maintain my shop.

What is your favourite creations from your shop?
Princess crowns are my favourite to make.  I love combining different felts and adding lovely embellishments to make each one unique and special.

What do you find most challenging about being an Etsy seller?
I thought in the beginning it was just a matter of making my toys and listing them and then waiting for the sales to come in.  Of course it isn't that easy.  Since then I have spent hours reading about SEO, branding, marketing and as much small business information as I can get my hands onto.

What's your personal philosophy behind your shop / products?
Products: Handmade toys made for everyday creative play, made with durability and safety a top priority.
Shop: Never stop evolving my shop and small business.

What do you do when you aren't working?
Gardening, reading, enjoying time with my family.

Please tell us a little about the children's items market / handmade movement in your Country? 
Handmade in Australia is booming at the moment.  There are a good amount of handmade markets on weekends.  There are also some fantastic and unique shops selling handmade.
I just spent the weekend at a huge craft and quilt fair and there is another local one in August.

Mels Creative Wishes is offering a 10% discount on all orders. To use the coupon visit her etsy store and enter code "WISHES10" at checkout.
Pink Felt Birthday Party Crown and wand, Fairy Crown, Fairy Wand - MelsCreativeWishes Tea Party Felt Food, Felt Chocolate Sweets, Play Food Desserts - MelsCreativeWishes Three Little Sisters Finger Puppets, Felt People Puppets, - MelsCreativeWishes Pirate Hat, Pirate Map, Pirate Eye Patch. Pirate Adventure Set - MelsCreativeWishes

1 comment:

Valerie said...

LOVE the darligng playmats!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...