Introducing Applesauce Crafts!

Posted Thursday, January 05, 2012

Today we introduce you to Amber from Applesauce Crafts!

  • What motivated you to start your shop?
I started sewing dresses and blankets for my daughter. When I posted some pictures up on Facebook, a bunch of friends said how cute they were and that I should sell them. So I made some things and started a shop. It's been two years now.

  • What is the story behind your shop name?
I was trying to think of something cute and it was just not coming to me. Then I started writing a description for my bibs and there was something about "does your kid have applesauce all over?" (something my then 1 yr old had on her all the time!) It just clicked--Applesauce Crafts!

  • Do you have a favorite Etsy Shop (non-child related)?
My favorite non kid etsy shop is probably Sweet Shop Vintage or Matte Art

  • What surprised you most about having your own craft / online shop?
It surprised me that I was good at it. I have never played an instrument or a sport, I never had a hobby or anything. So to actually have people like my stuff and buy things from me made me feel really awesome!

  • What do you find most challenging about being an Etsy seller?
For me, it's challenging balancing motherhood with being a shop owner. I would love to sit and drink coffee and sew all day long, but I have to go in spurts between breakfast, school run, nap time, sick kids, etc.

  • What's your personal philosophy behind your shop / products?
My philosophy is that babies don't need babyish things. I do buy some things in the kid section, or made for kids, but mostly it's just by what looks good, what I like to look at. I let the fabrics jump out at me and I know if I love it, someone else is going to love it, too.

  • How would someone (other then you) describe you?
I think they'd say I'm a loud, bossy, sassy lady that has cute kids that always have a mess on their faces :)

  • What music do you have on while you are creating?
I usually have the Bloc Party Pandora station on, but sometimes my daughter will request Abba.

  • What do you do when you aren't working?
When I'm not working I'm taking care of my almost one yr old Otis, and my 3.5 yr old Ingrid. They keep me super busy, but luckily they both are used to mama being in front of the sewing machine or having a pile of fabric out. In fact, the other day my daughter had some of my scraps and was playing fabric store. I'm totally rubbing off on her!

  • Anything else you'd like to tell us or share?
I am just so thrilled to be part of a DIY community! I love that I have made friends through etsy, people I've never actually met but we connect online and trade ideas or whatever. Having an etsy shop has really given me something other than just being a mom--I know so many people lose themselves in their kids and I am glad I have something to call my own and give me a purpose other than wiping up snot :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful interview. So nice to get to know you and see your work. Very beautiful items. Keep up the great work as both a crafter, DIY contributor and most importantly, a Mom. xxoo

OliversForest said...

great interview. i just LOVE the name Otis!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...