Meet Etsy Seller Alber Road Children's Wear

Posted Wednesday, November 18, 2015

This week we meet Etsy seller Alber Road.  Alber Road makes Handcrafted organic children's clothing and accessories and has been open since January 2015.


Ready to Ship - Winter Organic Baby Sweatshirt - Winter Tamaracks  Organic Baby Bodysuit - Winter Woodland  Organic Baby Raglan Sweatshirt - Golden Antlers


What motivated you to start your shop? 
I started sewing children's clothing for friends as gifts, but one day a friend asked to buy something from me as a last minute shower present. I realized then that maybe I could turn my hobby into a business. I spent a year researching US compliance laws so that I could legally sell baby items and got my first wholesale contract with a local Co-op. The reception was great! I knew I wanted to reach out to a larger audience and Etsy seemed like the logical choice. My goal was to someday quit my day job, but that "someday" was 6 months after my first sale! I have been happily sewing ever since. 

What is the story behind your shop name?
Alber Road is the name of the road I grew up on as a child. We were from a small farming community in rural Michigan. My parents bought a one room school house in the next town over and renovated it to a family home. The "school house" is still there on the corner of Alber Road and Bethel Church Road in Saline, Michigan. Some of my fondest childhood memories originated in the community, wandering the Michigan woods and collecting soybeans out of the farmers' fields. When I named my shop, I wanted to draw on my roots as a young child, close to nature in the Michigan countryside. 

What is your favourite creations from your shop?
.
I love, love, love creating bodysuits with some of the delicious organic knit with custom designs by fabulous designers I interact with. Nothing beats a baby in an adorable, one of a kind bodysuit! I wish they were my size... 

What surprised you most about having your own craft / online shop?


I am still amazed that I was able to quit a job I worked 11 hours a day at in order to pursue my dream-- I have shipped across the world (my latest exciting shipment was to The Netherlands!). I honestly didn't think that I would be a success, certainly not one that would allow me to pursue my designing dreams full time. My Etsy shop has allowed me to work from my home and be creative every day. 


 What do you find most challenging about being an Etsy seller?
I miss the constant social contact of my previous job. I have to make sure I come up for air every once in a while and leave my sewing studio. Etsy has been a great venue for me, but it's a solitary job. 


What's your personal philosophy behind your shop / products?
I believe in shopping small and supporting the "little guy". I work very hard to source quality fabrics, most of which are grown and finished in the United States. I try to form relationships with my designers too! My business is all about forming that personal connection (with my vendors, designers and customers) and giving back to our community and preserving a positive future for the generations to come.

What do you do when you aren't working?
"When I'm not working? When is that?? 

Just kidding! I inhabit one of the most beautiful places in the world. My partner and I live at the base of a mountain and spend a lot of time outdoors appreciating the Idaho wilds. I love to birdwatch and catch the occasional black bear lumbering across the yard. It's outdoor bliss here! 


"

Alber Road is offering a discount code for all Etsykids readers. Just use the code ETSYKIDS15%  for 15% off any purchase


Organic Baby Bodysuit - Baby Fox  Organic Baby Leggings - Golden Antlers  Organic Baby Mittens - Morning Southwest

Posted by Raising Green Kids

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...