Meet Etsy Seller MyFunnyBuddy

Posted Wednesday, January 22, 2014


Today we would like to introduce you to
Etsy shop MyFunnyBuddy

MyFunnyBuddy has been selling on Etsy since November 2012, she sell fun and easy PDF sewing patterns to make your own soft toys! Today she is sharing a little about her shop and selling on Etsy.

Stuffed Monster Toy Pattern - PDF Sewing Pattern for Plush Monster-Monster Helps Children Show Feelings Washable Cloth Soft Toy - MyFunnyBuddy Dog Pattern - Scruffy the Stuffed Doggie PDF Sewing Pattern - Soft Dog Toy for Babies Toddlers Child-Safe or Dog Toy Wolf Pattern - MyFunnyBuddy Tony T-Rex Pattern DIY Stuffed Dinosaur Toy and Baby Dinosaur Set, Tracy TRex Tutorial DIY Friendly Dinosaur Pdf Sewing Pattern - MyFunnyBuddy Dog & Cat Pillow Pattern Tutorial PDF Sewing Pattern with Pocket for Tooth Fairy Pillow, Small Pillow for Toddlers to Tweens - MyFunnyBuddy

What motivated you to start your shop?
I loved stuffed animals as a kid! Then when I had my daughter, and dropped multiple "surface wash" only toys in parking lots, I wanted to give her toys that were washable. It's been great, she is my best tester! She is only 3 1/2 but she is proud to show off toys her Mommy made.

What is the story behind your shop name?
I had a doll that didn't turn out quite right so I was calling her "Funny Doll." When I started making animals, I wanted to be more general, so switched to My Funny Buddy. I still need to write up that "Funny Doll" pattern. My teenage babysitters think she's cute and funky.

What surprised you most about having your own craft / online shop?
I never would have guessed that I would make so many friends and meet such wonderful people through my shop. My patterns are meant to be quick to make so they lend themselves to people who sew toys for donations. My very first customer was Dona from Sewing Miles of Smiles. She has now become a wonderful friend. I'm inspired by all the work she does. Kristy from Hopeful Threads is another sewing friend who does great work for charity.

What is your favourite creations from your shop?
That's a tough one. Hmm, I might have to say my monster. It comes with happy and sad faces which can be placed on opposite sides of head, or made as two separate monsters. It is my therapy toy. I love how it can be used for kids to show their feelings or to be a buddy that empathizes with them.

What do you find most challenging about being an Etsy seller?
Marketing is something I didn't know much about. I thought Search Engine Optimization would be the hard part and only way to get the word out about my shop. I didn't realize how big a role social networking plays. Currently, I'm only on Facebook, Pinterest, and have my own website, www.myfunnybuddy.com. I feel like I need to do more social networking, though it's all to easy to spend too much time on the computer and Facebook when I should be sewing and designing.

What's your personal philosophy behind your shop / products?
Designing toys that are easy to make and with personality. I love designing faces that have funky or cute expressions. And I like hearing about beginners who try out my patterns. I would like to do more to get kids (or adults) interested in sewing. It's a great skill that teaches principles beyond sewing. Actually, I feel that way about most arts and crafts. Learning to follow instructions, and learning that you can't just press a button to "Undo" or "Delete" a mistake are valuable. Don't get me wrong, I love my computer. I used to be a computer programmer, and I have to say that all my years of doing crafts made me the most careful programmer on my team!

What do you do when you aren't working?
Playing with my daughter, doing other art projects, sometimes both at once. Also, I'm toying with fabric design. Though honestly, for the past year, any extra time has been spent on my shop. And I've loved it!

MyFunnyBuddy is offering a 20% discount in her shop. To use the coupon visit her etsy store and enter code "ETSYKIDS20" at checkout. Valid until 16th February 2014.

Stuffed Bunny Pattern - Hoppy Loppy PDF Sewing Pattern - Soft Toy Baby Plush DIY Easter Bunny for Springtime Peek-a-Boo Instant Download - MyFunnyBuddy DIY Flower Pillow Pattern and Peace Sign Sewing Tutorial Dorm Decor Kids Pillows Cushion for Children - MyFunnyBuddy Fox & Raccoon Pillow Toy Pattern PDF Sewing Tutorial Baby Felt Animal, Tooth Fairy Pocket or Accent Pillow, Toddler to Tween - MyFunnyBuddy Stuffed Cat Pillow Pattern Funky Cat & Kitten PDF Sewing Tutorial Easy Beginner DIY Softie Plush Gifts for Children - MyFunnyBuddy

3 comments:

Debbie Feely said...

Lucy doesn't say it, but her tutorials are amazing. I have three of her patterns and I have learned more about sewing, even though I've sewn for 50 years. I was drawn to Lucy's work through the toys' personality. I wasn't looking to be drawn into this kind of work, as I do not do fine skills well, but her patterns make it fun. Thanks, Lucy!

Unknown said...

Thank you Debbie! You are so sweet!

Sewing Miles of Smiles said...

I've made almost every one of her patterns for the children's hospital here in Spokane. And they are all a real hit. Her patterns are not only cute and easy to make but her instructions are clear. You won't be sorry buying one of her patterns.

Dona
http://sewingmilesofsmiles.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...