Introducing Mamma 190

Posted Thursday, September 20, 2012


Today We Introduce You to
Diana from Mamma 190

Q: what motivated you to start your shop?
I always liked the Etsy community, I started as a buyer and I was always fascinated about all those wonderful things I found on Etsy, and their the excellent workmanship. I learned how to sew after my daughter's birth, it was like a fresh breeze, then I felt ready to open my Etsy shop.

Q: what is the story behind your shop name?
It is not a great story indeed. I was "arch190" already on Etsy, it is my online nickname. Nothing special, it comes for "architect", 190 is just to add some numbers I needed once to log in, they come from a phone card that was on my desk that day. When I opened my Etsy shop I was "arch190" already and it is was not possible to switch to "mamma190". I changed "architect" to "mamma" (that means "mom" in italian) since it has a deep and sweet meaning. The "mamma" in Italy is everything, all things made from a "mamma" are the best and most loving things you can get. This is what I want to relay by naming my shop "mamma190", to say that you will find the most loving, caring and special things there, made from a mom. Like getting a hug and a kiss from your mom.

Q: do you have a favorite Etsy Shop (non-child related)?
Oh yes, I have many favorite Etsy shops! What tempts me the most are those beautiful shops where form, shape and design have a strong character. One of my favorite shops lately is BiscuitCuit (http://www.etsy.com/shop/BiscuitCuit), it is a beautiful shop offering handmade wheel thrown ceramics. I'm fascinated with what this girl makes. I can say, in first person, her work is just perfect.

Q: what surprised you most about having your own craft / online shop?
It surprises me everyday to be able to travel “everywhere” through my shop and my craft! It fascinates me since I love traveling, to know a little piece of me is somewhere out there in this big world, it makes me very happy. It is also amazing to be in touch with all of these wonderful people, sellers, buyers and sometimes, to become real friends!

Q: what do you find most challenging about being an Etsy seller?
Promotion and getting noticed is really challenging. Finding your place in the intricate Etsy universe is not easy.

Q: what's your personal philosophy behind your shop / products?
As I said before, I want to communicate through my craft that beautiful mom feeling most of us know, that warm touch, how special you feel when someone cares about you and makes special things for you. For me quality and innovation are also very important. Quality through beautifully made items, perfect workmanship, nice natural materials. Innovation through tradition and simplicity.

Q: how would someone (other then you) describe you?
As a very tenacious person, funny and ironic. My husband and my daughter would say I make great bread.

Q: what music do you have on while you are creating?
I usually turn on the radio when I'm working. My favorite radio station, when I work usually play a blues program and later a reggae insert. I confess I don't like this reggae break very much but it fits while I'm working!

Q: what do you do when you aren't working?
After work I spend lots of time with my little daughter. When the season is warm and sunny, we love to go around Milan on our bike to our favorite playgrounds in the city. Please, don't think about it like "lovely and easy days", sometimes it gets hard since I have a house to keep and some architecture work to do.

Q: please tell us a little about the children's items market / handmade movement in your Country?
I live in Italy. I have to say that the kids commercial market in Italy doesn't suit me. I don't very much like the idea of dressing kids as little adults that you find here, imitation on the scale of a grown up outfit, sequins for little girls and structured polos for little boys… Also toys and books are made to raise "little adults" since childhood. Fortunately Italy is in Europe, Europe is not so big and it is easy to find influence from other countries, like France or Scandinavian countries, where they have that touch that I love from childhood: simplicity, color, comfort, imagination, fun.

Q: anything else you'd like to tell us or share?
Thank you for inviting me to take part in this interview series. I feel really lucky and happy to make what I make and, the most important thing, it allows me to be close to my daughter and to experience being a mom.




'Introducing Mamma 190' by Lilikin14

an etsykids team treasury


$34.00

$12.00

$36.00

$9.50

$42.00

$27.00

$42.80

$26.00

Treasury tool supported by the dog house

4 comments:

Dori said...

Great feature! I love Diana's pieces :)

Unknown said...

I adore your items Diana:) Wonderful feature!

BiscuitCuit Ceramics said...

Wow Diana, you know I love your shop too! Thank you for naming my shop!

Canan said...

It's great to learn more about you Diana.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...