Endless Summer

Posted Tuesday, September 04, 2012

I don't know if there really were a 104 days of summer vacation, but it sounds good in the Phineas & Ferb title sequence, so I'm just going to go with it.  My sister and I spent summers free ranging around the 8 acres we grew up on.  There were woods and a crick (That's North Eastern PA for 'small creek').  My dad hitched the camper up to the station wagon, wood paneled, of course and all of us headed out for trips to the beach or historic tourist destinations.

I wanted my daughter to have those loud summer nights plucking lightning bugs from evening breezes.  If her feet didn't get callused and green, then I had failed my responsibilities as a  parent.  

We didn't do a big trip.  We made our home our vacation spot.  Roasting marshmallows, walkie talkie hide and seek and running bare foot across the yard with a pack of kids from the neighborhood were all we needed to declare we were on vacation.

Now it is September and we are in denial.  Just because those yellow school buses are running doesn't mean we can't squeeze in a few more moments of summer.  Summer isn't defined by a calendar.  It is is a state of mind...and flip flops. There is still time for miniature golf after suppers and the ice cream stand doesn't close until October.  

This afternoon when Maizie gets off the bus,  I will be waiting, with my water guns loaded.


'Endless Summer' by FairyGodmother4Hire

Just close your eyes, click your flip flops together and repeat over and over...This is still summer, this is still summer.

$24.00
$149.50
$18.00
$60.00
$22.00
$34.00
$25.00
$29.00
$24.00
$5.00
$29.00
$55.00
$24.00
$42.00
$17.99
$18.00

2 comments:

Savage Seeds said...

Lovely! Thank you for including my Grey Squirrel!

Shannon said...

Great post! Thanks for including my felted flower ring!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...