Introducing Apple n Amos

Posted Thursday, August 30, 2012


Today We Introduce You To Amos from Apple n Amos




Q: what motivated you to start your shop?
Back in July of 2010, I lost my job and found myself needing a position that would still allowed me to be home with my son, Henry. After months of endless searching, I decided to try my hand at opening a Etsy shop.

Q: what is the story behind your shop name?
I have always wanted to own my own business..many of them in fact. I remember wanting to open a tattoo parlor / hair salon, where you could get dreadlocks or crazy big blue mohawks, it was to be called "Dye n Pain". When I was in my twenties I had a idea to open a restaurant that was called Apple n Amos, with a friend of mine who's nickname was "apple". Everything on the menu was to have a apple theme mixed in. So, naturally, when it came time to open my own shop I was totally stumped on a good name until I remembered this one. "Apple n Amos" has a few new meaning for me now though. Being that it has a educational feel to it and the "apple" is associated with education, it naturally fits. Also, my son Henry is my inspiration and he of course is the apple of my eye.

Q: do you have a favorite Etsy Shop (non-child related)?
I love Machel Spence Photo, she has amazing nature photos. Visualingual is a terrific shop that makes seed bombs. Such a great idea! Vital Temptation make wearable felted art...the things she makes just blow my mind. If you are looking for fun, funky winter fashion look no further than Odette, she creates incredible crochet and knitted cowls. I totally dig her photos and the overall style of her shop and blog. Lastly, I love Halloween and everything creepy I have to give a shout out to Pumpkinhollow and Frighten..perfect treats for the spooky holiday.

Q: what surprised you most about having your own craft / online shop?
I am a little stunned by how much work it is. From creating, to photographing to emails...it is a ton of work. But all the great feedback and returning customers make it all worth it.

Q: what do you find most challenging about being an Etsy seller?
I have a really hard time balancing my personal life while running a business from home. The house is always messy, wood is piled everywhere, there is a never ending to-do list. I always feel pulled in so many directions. I have a very good work ethic and I don't like to leave things unfinished. I think working in a 9-5 is way easier than working from home. When its 5 o'clock, you punch out and go home. But, not around here, whenever I open the computer, no matter what time of day or night, I can't help but jump onto Etsy to see if there are anymore sales, or emails that need to be addressed. I have to learn to "punch out" until tomorrow.

Q: what's your personal philosophy behind your shop / products?
I just want to make good long lasting Earth friendly toys that you and your children will love. I want my toys to be a part of your memories. There is nothing better than hearing how a one of our simple toys entertained a child for hours all the while teaching them valuable skills. Warms my heart it does.

Q: how would someone (other then you) describe you?
Haha..it depends on who you ask. If you were to ask my hubby Joe, he would say control freak. If you were to ask my friends they would probably say loud and funny. I have a big personality and it is really hard for me to contain it, funky

Q: what music do you have on while you are creating?
Well this list could go on and on...I am really into early Little Richard right now..I love me some funky James Brown too. But then again Bob Marley is always not too far away from the radio. ZZ Ward is my new go to girl- she is bluesy, funky and groovy with a wonderful raspy voice. Some others off the top of my head are Regina Specktor, P.J Harvey, Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

Q: what do you do when you aren't working?
When I am not working on shop stuff and assuming the motherly, maid and mama duties are all done, then I find myself either reading or with a camera in hand. My new favorite outing with Henry is letterboxing. Letterboxes are everywhere in the world. You go on a hike, follow the clues and at the end of your journey you find a hidden box usually with a hand carved stamp inside as well as a sign in sheet. It is cool to see how many names have found the box before you. We really enjoy camping and whenever we go to a different place I always look up a letterbox near by.

Q: anything else you'd like to tell us or share?
As far as some news goes..My little man Henry is off to Kindergarten. I am really excited for him but sad for myself because I just don't know what I will do with my cuddlebug gone all day- but not to worry because I will have my hands full again in January when my second one comes along.

Shop http://www.etsy.com/shop/applenamos
Blog http://applenamos.blogspot.com/
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/applenamos




'Introducing Apple n Amos' by Lilikin14

an etsykids team treasury


$23.00

$16.00

$7.00

$40.00

$22.00

$15.00

$12.00

$50.00

Treasury tool supported by the dog house

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful toys! I put it on my favorites for possible gifts and future grandchildren!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...