Homemade Spice Blends

Posted Monday, January 30, 2012

Today we have a guest post from Sweet Child of Mine.

I love cooking and trying new flavors, so I have an extensive variety of spices. As a way to save money and avoid MSG and sugar, I decided to put together my own spice blends. Having my own spice blends on hand is definitely a time-saver too. I just make enough to fill an old seasoning container, then when I need it for a recipe, I just shake the spices in. Here are my recipes for taco, ranch and poultry seasoning.

Taco Seasoning:
  • 6T chili powder
  • 5T paprika
  • 4.5T cumin
  • 2.5T onion powder
  • .5t cayenne pepper
  • 1T oregano
  • 1T coarse salt
  • 1T garlic powder
Mix all of these into an empty spice shaker, ziplock bag or airtight container. Use in any recipe that you'd normally use a pre-packaged taco seasoning.








Ranch Seasoning:
  • 4T parsley
  • 3T pepper
  • 4T season salt
  • 2T garlic powder
  • 1T onion powder
  • .5T thyme
  • 3T chives
  • 3T dill
Mix all of these into an empty spice shaker, ziplock bag or airtight container. Use in any recipe that you'd normally use a pre-packaged ranch seasoning. Mix into sour cream for a delicious dip without all of the additives of store-bought dip.






Poultry Seasoning:
  • 4T salt
  • 2T paprika
  • 1T cayenne pepper
  • 1T onion powder
  • 1T thyme
  • 1T white pepper
  • 1T garlic powder
  • 1T black pepper
  • 1T curry powder
Mix all of these into an empty spice shaker, ziplock bag or airtight container. I use this on all of the poultry that I cook. It makes a nice rub for chicken and turkey, and I also shake some over boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

1 comment:

shee said...

I appreciate your time and effort to come up this kind of article. Try to glance at www.gourmetrecipe.com. A recommendation for you to relax and unwind for a while. In that website you will find many tasty and nutritious dishes for you to choose from and your family. I also a sure you, you won't regret it in visiting this site.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...