My daughter recently watched a television program about making cottage cheese and she became very interested in wanting to make her own. A few minutes on the internet and we found dozens of recipes and how- to's. The recipe we followed was from Val Harrison at Allotment.org.uk. I was curious and hesitant to try the cottage cheese but I must say it tasted good!
Here's what you need:
2 pints of skimmed or semi-skimmed milk.
2 tablespoons of lemon or white vinegar. (we used lemon)
Pinch of salt
Here's what you need to do:
- Pour the milk into the sauce pan and heat until hot but not boiling.
- Stir occasionally and cool down for a few minutes
- Add 2 tablespoons of lemon or white vinegar
- Stir and watch the milk separate into curds and whey
- After cooling put the mixture into your sifter to catch the curds
- Discard the whey
- Transfer the curds into a small bowl and add a pinch of salt
Dorinda's shop, Raising Green Kids, offers eco-friendly products for your family. Follow her on Facebook and twitter and at her blog.