Meet Etsy Seller Fuffalumps

Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013


Today we would like to introduce you to Jennifer
and her Etsy shop Fuffalumps

Fuffalumps has been selling on Etsy since March 2006, she specialize in making super cute and quirky plush animals using up cycled materials. Today she is sharing a little about her shop and selling handmade items.





What motivated you to start your shop?
My Fuffalumps where the motivation for opening a shop on Etsy.  John Murphy's Stupid Sock Creatures book made me laugh out loud, literally, in the book store back in 2005.  It inspired me to make myself and other laugh through my own designs. My first Etsy shop which is still open, "creationsbyjdb," is where I sold my first Fuffalump in 2006 named Suzie Fuffalump.  Creations by JDB now sells my popular glass ornaments which I paint inside.  I opened my Fuffalumps shop last year so they could have their own little world, their own followers and collectors.  

What is the story behind your shop name?
My plush creations are called Fuffalumps.  Growing up and even now some of my family calls me Fuff.  Jennifer is such a popular name for my generation that I have many nicknames.  I think Fuff was a combination of Jenafuffer and Fluffernutter, as in the sandwich with peanut butter and gooey marsh mellow fluff. One of my friends added "alumps" and voila! 

What surprised you most about having your own craft / online shop?
I was most surprised by my first sale and those that followed.  I think it must be similar to the applause that performers get.  I recently got an iPhone and now not only do I get a sale but I also get a little cash register sound.  Cha-ching!

What do you find most challenging about being an Etsy seller?
Marketing.  I find marketing a challenge no matter where I sell but on-line is a bit different.  Instead of mailings we have so many social networks.  Instead of phone calls we have emails.  Instead of leaning over to talk to your craft friend in the booth next to you, often asking them to watch your stuff while you take a bathroom break, we have teams and just go to our own restroom but not before thinking, "Right after I type this one last thing and hit send.  Oh, wait what is that?"  I always had an office job as a data enterer but now I get to do it for my business.  I think the challenge is in organizing your time so that you prioritize where your hours of each day are spent.  It so easy to get swept away into the land of Pinterest, Facebook or Twitter.

What's your personal philosophy behind your shop / products?
Creating smiles from the inside out.  Providing quality silly creatures that connect with people throughout the world.

How would someone (other then you) describe you?
People describe me as fun, nice, creative and silly.

What do you do when you aren't working?
It's actually hard to separate my business from my day, in a good way.  I am usually on the computer, iPhone or in in my studio playing with all kinds of materials while listening to fun movies and music.  My favorite types of movies are Disney and comedies.  My favorite types of music are swing, musicals and anything by They Might Be Giants.  I guess I really escape when my husband and I go to the theater to watch one of the latest movies.  I also go for walks to clear my head and play games with friends on my pink iPhone but even then, I'm thinking about how to improve the business.

Anything else you'd like to tell us or share?
I am very happy to be selling through Etsy.  I began working at home because I use to suffer from migraines.  I still get occasional bad headaches but the freedom to make my own schedule has such a great value to me.

Fuffalumps is offering free domesitc (USA) shipping to our blog reader. To use the coupon, visit her etsy store and enter code 'FREESHIP' at checkout. The voucher is valid until April 15th 2013.




1 comment:

Jennifer D Burrell said...

Thanks so much for posting my interview!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...