No Girls Allowed

Posted Monday, April 05, 2010

I don't know about you, but when my husband and I decided to have kids, I had it all planned out. We were going to have two boys and if we were nuts, have a third and she would be a girl. All I knew was that I did NOT want to have girls. I even bought only boy clothes after we started trying.

Growing up, I was a complete wallflower, but minding my own business in the background did not save me from the cattiness of girls. In junior high, there were girls that would call other classmates, pretend to be me, and say who knows what (curse the era before caller id). I know it was bad because one of the boys that asked me about it, wouldn't tell me what "I" had said. In any event, I had more boy friends than girl friends because I just didn't want to deal with the drama of it all.

Yup, I was going to have boys and avoid reliving my teenage years, even vicariously. I should have known. Statistically, I thought we had a shot, I mean there is a 51% to 49% ratio of male to female births. However, I married into a family where the odds aren't quite so even. Between my husband and his two brothers, there are nine, count 'em NINE, girls and no boys. How is this even possible? I suspect a government experiment using their tap water growing up, but we'll never know. :oP It would be an interesting study though.

While I still wonder what having boys would be like, I do love my girls and it's made me realize that you don't get what you want, you get what you need. And perhaps I will relive my teenage years through my girls, but having gone through it, maybe I'll able to make theirs better. Or at the very least, a little less traumatic. Time will tell. :o)

Written for The Mama Dramalogues.

2 comments:

obabydotcom said...

sweet girls!

Anonymous said...

I grew up with 2 sisters and when I was pregnant with my first I only wanted a boy....and guess what..I got a girl! I cried. But I love my little girl more than I can describe! I was blessed, I got my boy the 2nd time around so I got to have experience with both sides and both are great. thank you for this great article!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...